About the Firm
Candace L. Moon, Esq
Candace L. Moon, Esq discovered the need for specialized craft beer counsel while working as a bartender at Hamilton’s during law school. While she met countless brewers, there were no attorneys catering to the legally complicated industry. Accordingly, Candace opened ‘The Craft Beer Attorney’ serving San Diego’s suds. As of August 2017, Candace has joined Dinsmore & Shohl, LLP as a partner, expanding her specialized craft beer legal services across the country. She has worked with over 350 craft breweries and craft breweries-in-planning nationwide, handling business entity formation, alcoholic beverage law, contract review, trademark law, as well as other legal needs. Candace’s undergraduate degree is from the University of Virginia and her juris doctorate is from Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, Calif.
Board of Directors
- Pink Boots Society, 2016 – present
- San Diego Brewers Guild, 2017 – present
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Brewers Association, Member, 2009 – Present
- California Craft Brewers Association, Allied Member
- American Bar Association, Member, 2008 – Present
- State Bar of California, Member, 2008 – Present
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member, 2008 –Present
- San Diego Brewers Guild, Affiliated Member, 2010 –Present
Honors and Awards
- San Diego County Top Attorney Award – Intellectual Property (The Daily Transcript), 2014
- Best of the Bar – Intellectual Property Law (San Diego Business Journal), 2014
- Best of the Bar – Intellectual Property Law (San Diego Business Journal), 2015
- Finalist for San Diego Business Journal’s Most Admired CEO award, 2016
- Finalist for San Diego Magazine Women of the Year, 2016
The Original Craft Beer Lawyers, we are a California-based firm that has spent the last seven years dedicated to advising the craft beer industry. We actively serve over 200 craft beer breweries, including breweries in planning nationwide. And to think this all got started while bartending at the world-famous craft beer bar, Hamiltons, while attending law school in San Diego.
PROUD MEMBER OF:
Diane Medina, Esq.
With a background in criminal and DUI defense, Diane has extensive trial and administrative hearing experience which adds to the arsenal of talent here at Craft Beer Attorney. During her legal studies at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, she developed a passion for Intellectual Property law and in 2006, graduated with a Certificate in the Center for Law, Technology, & Communications. Diane believes her greatest achievement is winning 1st place in the 1st grade Spelling Bee at Castle Elementary School in Bakersfield, California. The irony for this diehard Dodger fan, is that the winning word was “giant.”
Tanya is the Office Ninja (Coordinator) who handles everything from running trademark clearances, filing trademarks, TTB, and ABC licenses, as well as managing events, the website and social media outlets. Tanya provides The Craft Beer Attorney, as well as its clients, with the best support and operations coordination available. Her expertise in project management, organization and strategy, married with her 16 plus years of experience in IT, make her an invaluable asset to her clients and their team.
As the only native San Diegan in the office, Nicole has earned the title of Office Unicorn. A walking San Diego encyclopedia, Nicole’s experience in the insurance and the service industries makes her a valuable resource for our clients. She’s one tough cookie, but many may not know that her guilty pleasure is devouring raw cookie dough. When she’s not enjoying time with her greatest achievement; a 19-month old tiny human who calls her “Mama,” she can be found around town drinking San Diego Pale Ales and Wine Barrel-Aged Beers!